View Single Post
Old 03-08-2003, 07:21 PM   #144
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Frodo watched as the boys began exploring the abandoned holes. Rose and Elanor stayed close to him, looking up at him expectantly. He turned to Rose. "Keep an eye on the boys for me; if they get into mischief, tug on my sleeve. "

"Yes, Mr. Frodo, " Rose said, and turned her sharp young gaze on the frolicking boys.

Frodo turned towards the presence he felt in the abandoned hole, and gently sent a thought: You are still in pain, I see. I am sorry.

Why do you ask? the Vala queried.

Concern and pity, Frodo replied. You are not used to wearing a body. May we come in, please?

But children are so noisy, and my head does hurt so, the Vala objected.

"Frodo; Merry; Pippin, " Frodo called. The three boys scrambled towards him and he met each of their eyes in turn, and then Rose and lastly Elanor. Everyone waited.

"Mr. Lorien does not feel well, " Frodo cautioned the children. "If we go into his house to visit him, and to help him to feel better, then we must be quiet and gentle."

Five curly heads nodded earnestly.

We will not disrupt your comfort, Frodo told Lorien.

I have none for you to disrupt, but if you don't make my headache any worse, I'll have no complaints, the Vala replied.

Frodo smiled, and removed his pocket-hankerchief and handed it to Elanor. "Take this to the pool, and get it cool and wet, but not too dripping," he said. Then he pulled his water-bottle off of his belt, and emptied it. "Rose, rinse this well, and fill it with cool water. You'd best let me hold the frog 'til you're done." Rose surrendered the frog and capered towards the pool with the water bottle. "Frodo, Merry, has your father taught you which herbs are good for clearing the mind and healing a headache?"

They nodded. "We'll go hunt for some, " they replied enthusiastically, and headed for the hillside. Frodo suspected they knew exactly where to look. Only little Pippin was left. "But what can I do?" he said, a little sad.

Frodo bent near him. "Can you sing?"

Pippin smiled. "Oh, yes. I know six whole songs."

"Do you know any quiet lullabyes?"

"Yes! Sometimes I sing it with Mama over little Hamfast."

"Sing it for me know."

Pippin's clear little voice rang out shrilly and powerfully, and Frodo motioned him to sing more softly. He giggled. "Sorry."

"A lulabye is for helping somebody sleep, not for waking them up, " Frodo admonished him.

"Uncle! I know that," Pippin said indignantly.

"All right then, try again. And softly this time."

Pippin's voice, softer now, caressed the breeze so gently that Frodo decided he would like Pippin to sing him to sleep sometime.

The boys returned with several bunches of wild herbs, lavender, rosemary, kingsfoil, and Merry had added several wild roses. Frodo thought the herbs would do very well.

Elanor returned with a nicely dampened pocket-hankerchief, and Rose presented a water-bottle full of cool, fresh water. Frodo nodded, quite satisfied, and put the frog in Rose's free hand, and turned to lead them into the abandoned hole. "Let's go and soothe Mr. Lorien a bit, " Frodo said, and they all nodded very seriously and followed him inside as quiet as hobbits can.

Cami thought she saw motion out of the corner of her eye, and putting her broom down, came to investigate. Her jaw dropped.

Lorien was flat on his back, in the warm sunshine in front of one of the few windows. Elanor was laving his brow with a cool, damp pocket hankerchief; in one hand, Rose held some cool water nearby for him to drink, although the other hand held a frog; Frodo-Lad and Merry-Lad were methodically crushing several handfuls of herbs, and the room smelled wonderful; and Pippin-lad was singing a lullabye that brought tears to Cami's eyes.

Frodo came and took her elbow. "They'll keep him busy for a little while, " Frodo said. "I told Pippin to sing til Lorien falls asleep, and then for all the children to go back to the hillside and play within my sight. Now... what say you take a break from cleaning, and talk to me. Hmmm?"

Cami hesitated. "I hate to stop once I've got a project started, " she said.

"If the children have enough of a play-break, they might be recruited to help you clean, " Frodo argued.

Cami melted. "All right, then. Let's go and sit on the bank."

They went outside in the sunshine, and sat side by side watching the ripples on the water.