View Single Post
Old 09-06-2007, 08:42 PM   #79
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Being a picker of bones and a quibbler extraordinaire:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White View Post
What is now obvious to me is this. Many here believe all or some of the following:
Many assumes more than 50%. That to me is way to high considering the persons posting in the Movies.

Quote:
1- if JRRT wrote it - its right and shut your mouth otherwise.
You might want to check your keyboard cable. Surely some will disagree with you when you take on Tolkien, but you can post all the same. Think of it as posting, "Go Browns!" on a Pittsburgh Steelers (American football) fan site. At least here people will use good grammar.

Quote:
2- it does NOT matter if it makes sense to you, it makes sense to us because we believe
I came from this from the other side. I was very anti-PJ all due to the Gandalf vs Witch-King scene. I was amazed that everyone did not agree with me that the scene was the worst thing PJ could ever do. Now, with some help from posters on the other side, I have learned to love the bomb.

Quote:
3- this is a fantasy and in a fantasy there does not have to be anything real
Not true. The reason Tolkien's world works ("Praise him beyond all praise!") is that, for much of it, it is internally consistent. Dragons talk but do not farm. Ale never gives anyone a hangover. Tolkien sets up and follows his own rules...er...for the most part. Check out the Books section for talking foxes, talking trolls, steam locomotives and other oddities (dare I say mistakes?!?) noted by members here.

Quote:
4- magic stuff like super races of people, magic foodstuffs and will power can make anything possible despite the rules of science and physiology
By accepting Tolkien's world, you accept his rules. Lembas help the body and will but will not sate your thirst. Elven cloaks will not stop arrows. And again, concerned the 'running' topic, you assume that his world works like ours when the magic etc would indicate otherwise.

Quote:
5-Peter Jackson sucks .... and what else needs to be said
Count the pages posted by me in the Sequence by Sequence, and yet I'm still going (it's a gift).

Quote:
6- Jackson did not make a page for page word for word translation of the book to film so anything that deviates from that is heresy... and what did I do with that bundle of kindling
It's out back by the garage. I swallowed many changes, like many (there's that word again) others here did as well. But, even you have to admit, some of the changes were just silly.

Quote:
Since Peter Jakcson did not create that same world, any deviation on behalf of Jackson from the Written Word is automatically wrong and in error.
What I hope is apparent is when you know the lyrics to a song - Beatles, The Who, Avril Lavigne - and when some one covers the song, the difference is magnified due to the difference in singer and the change in words. You note a change in the expected pattern and so examine it more closely.

Then you just pile on for lack of other entertainment.

Quote:
Now who is insulting who with that type of reasoning? And you hide behind the presumption that you are engaging in free and open intellectual debate. Gimme a break.
Think that the Faithful, the Heretic and the Stormcrow (that would be me) all post here.

Quote:
I give Alatar a lot of credit.
I accept PayPal.

Quote:
He admits his sacred cows. He makes good arguments but still admits there is some hypocrisy involved. I guess to some others even that admission is heresy.
As I've said many many times before: "Take a breath - remember, we’re typing on an internet site regarding a man’s work. Our eternal destiny and that of the world is not going to be decided here." Unless you cannot accept that the Three Hunters ran 135 miles in 3.5 days...

Quote:
I went to a catholic school for 12 years taught by priests and nuns. Eavery semester we took religion class - not really religion but Catholic Religion. In the end, every discussion came down to two things:
1- This is Church doctrine is right and proper and correct because the Pope says it is so.
2- The Pope speaks with the word and approval from God and can never be wrong.

This discussion and the arguments posed forth take me back to those 12 years of education.
Maybe your argument is with someone else then. I can truly understand that.

Anyway, I've posted here in fun, I'm done and care not how far Denethor did run.