View Single Post
Old 01-12-2001, 02:16 PM   #25
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Shade of Carn Dûm
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: wargs

Oi! Do I detect in the tone of your post a virtual glove being slapped across my face in challenge? Very well.<blockquote>Quote:<hr> Where did the transformation from possessed beast to disintegrating undead creature occur?<hr></blockquote>There's no transformation. The dreadful spirit (presumably disembodied at first) imprisoned in the body of a fell beast (now able to act and attack). Lindil gave a good example above -- when the Nazgûl Lord is slain by Éowyn and Merry at Pelennor, his body disappears. Of course I'm only theorizing, but it seems a more likely scenario than yours. The text says, &quot;Their enemies [the wolves] were routed and did not return.&quot; Also I think there's almost indisputable evidence that the bodies disappeared to be inferred from these lines: <blockquote>Quote:<hr> The bow of Legolas was singing...

The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew, and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.

...and the next morning...

No trace of the fight remained but the charred trees and the arrows of Legolas lying on the hill-top. All were undamaged save one of which only the point was left.<hr></blockquote>That one &quot;of which only the point was left&quot; sounds like the same one that plunged burning into the heart of the great wolf-chieftain. Are you suggesting that Legolas missed with all those arrows, or that the wolves that crept back to reclaim the dead bodies (and body parts) of their fallen comrades considerately removed his arrows (and the arrowhead from the heart of the chieftan) and left them behind for Legolas to reuse? There aren't any bodies because the bodies disappeared.

</p>