View Single Post
Old 02-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Leaf Night 1

The Yule has turned into night. It has begun to snow again, but inside the house it is warm and cosy. Although the room is otherwise dark, the embers are still glowing red in the wide hearth. Some people are sleeping in another room, but most have their mattresses laid on the floor and lie deep in drunken sleep, happy and their stomachs full after feasting. Someone snores lightly, one mutters something in his sleep.

Fear nothing! For tonight you are under the roof of Tom Bombadil!

Death has been curled up in front of the hearth for the most of the evening, only her eyes flickering greenish light every now and then, but now she gets up and stretches. Goldberry's words still echo in her ears.

She patters softly amidst the sleepers towards the wall and pushes a door open. With a new determination, she treads over the short passage until she comes to another door. Inside, two persons are sleeping. She stands upon the threshold for a moment, then enters the room.

Tom Bombadil wakes up suddenly. Sharp fangs tear the flesh of his throat.

”I am sorry, Tom,” an almost gentle voice whispers in his ear. ”You know, I always rather liked you.”

Tom's eyes are not quite merry anymore. He tries to lift his hand but doesn't manage to do it. Soft footsteps move to the other side of the bed.

”Besides, if I didn't know you don't really die...” A sound of a tearing fabric. ”At least this easily, I would probably just have evicted you for a while...” Death claws Goldberry's stomach open. ”But you cannot deny that it's much funnier this way. And you would have spoiled my Yule. I know you will understand.” She sounds almost apologetic.

When she is done, she leaves the room, in search for the Barrow-wight.

A sleeper wakes up suddenly. A dark shape, surrounded by dim, red light, is standing next to his mattress. For a moment he blinks his eyes, as if trying to remember where he is. Then, a look of recognition and affection passes over his face.

”What's this? A werewolf caught off his guard?” she mocks him gently.

”Has it begun?”

”Yes.”

”Why didn't you wake us up until now?” asks another voice.

”I wanted to have some fun all by myself. It's so much more intense, you know.”

”But you killed them all!”

”And you will kill the rest in nights to come. Fair enough.”

A third voice interrupts the discussion. ”The night is passing and we still have work to do.”

The corners of Death's mouth turn upwards. ”Good. Go plotting, then. And please take that green thing away with you. It smells.”

”Here is to victory!” the pack greets her.

”To world domination, rather!”

The beggars woke up in the grey morning only to notice that the fire had gone out and the house was cold. Neither Tom Bombadil nor Goldberry was to be seen. The whole world was silent; an oppressing, almost threatening air was about the house.

A slimy green trail led from one corner of the room to the door. At its end lay the shapeless body of the Barrow-wight.

This raised the beggars' suspicions.

Rikae and Durelin rushed to the room where the host and the hostess were supposed to be sleeping, but there was no one there. Only the torn blankets bore evidence of that something out of ordinary had indeed happened in the night.

Nogrod and Volo tried the front door of the house, but it was stuck.

”It looks like the lock has frozen,” observed Boro.

”We cannot get out,” said Nerwen.

”Trapped!” cried Ka. ”Why did we delay?”

But the house wasn't as deserted as it had first seemed. The white wolf was lying on her back in front of the newly rekindled fire, and the children were stroking her.

”What on earth has happened here?” asked Mithalwen, a trace of panic in her voice.

Death opened one eye, then turned to her stomach.

”Nothing of great interest.” She smirked maliciously. ”Some sweet little bunnies just got hungry in the night, I think.”

”Speak more plainly,” demanded sally.

”If you insist...” Death stretched the words. She was seemingly enjoying the situation. ”Naturally, I know nothing about it. I just happened to pass by last night and saw three werewolves chatting in a corner. They're going to kill you all, that's what they said.”

A shocked silence followed her words. Her smile grew wider.

”Oh my,” whispered Nogrod. ”Escaping hunger and frost to be caught by wolves...”

Lommy started crying and hugged Greenie tightly. Macalaure looked shaken and just sat where he was, Menel ran to his mother.

”I feel so helpless,” McCaber sobbed.

However, there was one who knew from the first moment what he was going to do:

”I want to kill them!” shouted Gwathagor, "and I have a foolproof way to find them! Everyone who calls me Gwathy is a wolf!"

”How aggressive a child you are, little Gwathy,” observed Death, turned to another side and began to sleep.

Alive:
Nogrod the Agreeable, the leader of the beggars
his wife, Nerwen
Gwathagor, their child
elderly couple; Rikae the Kind
and Durelin
Boromir88 the Silent One, an ex-pickpocket
his wife, Mithalwen the Perpetually Sane and Serene
their children Macalaure the Guileless
and Meneltarmacil
satansaloser2005, a slightly mad crippled woman
Volo, a young widowed man
his child, the Right Honourable McCaber
THE Ka, a blind old woman
orphaned little Thinlómien
and her little sister A Little Green

Dead:
Tom Bombadil (ranger) - killed on Night 1
Goldberry (seer) - killed on Night 1
The Barrow-wight (hunter) - killed on Night 1

It is now Day 1. Wolves stop PMing. Start talking.