View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #799
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Nogrod's Post

Lord Athanr looked at the empty parchment and wrote the words My King, to begin the letter. It felt preposterous and not himself. He took the parchment and folded it in parts, sending it to the fire.

My lord. He began the next one. He looked at the paper for a while and thought it would have to suffice.

I need to make a call for a tanner named Erbrand and a soldier named Lithor. This Erbrand tried to kill one of my men, Scyrr, if you remember the old warhorse; and Lithor joined Erbrand in escape after having been judged for trying to revolt against your rule. The two are armed and dangerous. Although I find it sad to call after them as they seemed like good men.

They ran away before noon this day and I sent men to go after them as soon as their desertion caught my ears. Neither was found around the premises within ten miles.

Do ask the two messengers I sent you with this message, why there were these troubles. You'll get the picture from there.

Yours truly,

lord Athanar

He eyed the parchment once more and then rolled it to a tube pressing his seal of wax on it.

Coming downstairs he met Aforglaed and Garwine waiting for him in the hall.

"So it is you two to carry the message?" Both of the men nodded. "Good..."

"Give this letter to the king - and do not let all the soothsayers get in front of you. Say it is important news from the Scarburg Mead Hall."

Lord Athanar gave the parchement to Garwine and stood back. "Go with my best wishes and come back later... and use your free time in Edoras well..." he smiled to the two and winked an eye to them.

"I'm waiting to hear your report the day after tomorrow.... Now ride as like the ghosts would pursue you... the earlier the king learns of your news the better chances there are getting these two caught."

--

Folwren's Post

Thornden and Harreld parted ways, Harreld to go to bed, Thornden to find Athanar. As he entered the hall, he met Garwine and Aforglaed coming out. They were bundled so thoroughly against the freezing night air that he would not have recognized them due to the scarves wrapped about their faces were it not that he knew no others would be leaving at this hour.

"Garwine?" he said questioningly. Garwine turned and then reached up and pulled the scarf down so he could speak.

"Aye, sir?"

"Get your horses, but wait until you hear from me before you leave."

"Very good."

They went out and Thornden went in. The hall was all but dark, with only the light from the massive fireplace illuminating the shadows partially. As reluctant as he was to call Athanar out from his chamber at this hour, he didn't hesitate. He knocked firmly on the door. Athanar himself opened it.

"Excuse me, my lord," Thornden said, "but I have a question that cannot wait till morning, for it needs an answer before the messengers depart."

"Speak it," Athanar said.

"Our smith Harreld has a brother in Edoras who is also a smith. Harreld informed me this evening that it is impossible for him to be able to fulfill all the duties required of an armorer and smith with so many men-at-arms here now, and he asks if the messengers you are sending may stop by his brother's smithy in Edoras and tell him to join him here."

Athanar stood considering a moment. "He is in Edoras, you say?" he asked. Thornden nodded. "So the messengers would not have to go far from their direct road," Athanar mused.

"Since they have all day in the city tomorrow, they can easily go after their interview with the king," Thornden pointed out.

"True. That would work. Go and tell them to go by the smith's tomorrow after they have delivered my message to the king."

"Thank you," Thornden said. Athanar nodded, bid Thornden goodnight, and shut the door again. Thornden smiled as he turned and walked quickly across the hall and out into the courtyard. He saw the two messengers and their horses. One was already mounted, but the other, Garwine likely, was standing and holding his horse's rein.

"Garwine, do you remember Garreth, Harreld's brother?"

"Of course I do," Garwine said, a flash of white showing his smile in the darkness. "He was the loud one that always used to amuse us with his jests."

"Yes, he is the one. Go to his smithy tomorrow, after you have delivered lord Athanar's missives, and tell him that his brother, Harreld, has need of him here at Scarburg. Tell him that with the coming of our new lord, the load of smithying has increased and he needs Garreth's help."

"With pleasure," Garwine replied.

"Good. Thank you. Ride well," he said. And as Garwine wrapped his face once more against the cold and turned to mount up for his night ride, Thornden went inside to find a warm bed and sleep until morning.

Last edited by Folwren; 10-31-2010 at 12:09 AM.