View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #198
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellurdur View Post
because you keep ignoring what' in the text.
Maybe, but I'm not so sure of course. For example you claim I ignore the text, but you told me, "I have given you direct quotes showing that Elrond and Arwen are not elves." as it relates to the quote below.

"Arwen was not an elf, but one of the half-elven who abandoned her elvish rights."-Letter 345.

This piece of text, as I told you, is irrelevant. For one I never claimed Arwen [and I know of this because she never chose to become an Elf] was an Elf and for another this text does not even make your case that Elrond is not an Elf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellurdur View Post
Elrond is called the Half-Elven so many times, but you refuse to accept it.
I have not denied that he was called Half-elven, "they were both Half-elven due to their descent", and "Even still they were Half-elven due to their ancestry" for instance. What I do not except is that because they are Half-elven, that in their choice to choose a Doom they did not become either Elf or Man. I showed you a text that showed how after Elros made his choice he became a Man.

"In this account, only Elros was granted a peculiar longevity, and it is said here that he and his brother Elrond were not differently endowed in the physical potential of life, but that since Elros elected to remain among the kindred of Men he retained the chief characteristic of Men as opposed to the Quendi: the “seeking else-whither,” as the Eldar called it, the “weariness” or desire to depart from the world." [UT, The Line of Elros, Part ll, ch. 3, p. 235, note 1]