View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 03:57 PM   #200
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegorn View Post
There are several things.

(1) Is Elrond, or any of the Peredhel, Elves or not due to their title "Half-elven".

(2) Is Glorfindel the strongest Elf in M-E, especially since he is reborn.

(3) Did Sauron make a serious attempt to invade Rivendell.
I'm gunna add some info. Now, remember bois/guyz/woman/glaz - it's really all just tralla Lalla Feanor unfriended Galad-goliant because Unlight is Light with an 'un' and Tolkien loved Un-lordifying-lally lembo lembas and doin' funny things with words.....he was a word smith, unlike the Gwaith-i-Mirdain, who were just naughty Elves workin' with the resident bad boi, Annatar, and Tolkien loved 'un' doing words with an 'un'

Okay:

to 1:

1. Aren't they just the Pereldar or Peredhil? Elf blended with Man - and so, I've always said, a synergy race "both and neither", and so, at times beyond either, whilst also being less than either - oh my god, I'm about to break into song! Would we have called Luthien a 'man'? Coz she died a mortal life? Um--if she had a beard, I'd have thought about it. Not sure she came back with one when those interfering busy bodies, the Valar, shunted her and Beren back to life. She, no doubt, still looked "elfy" (well actually, she was part Maia, yeah ), but Mandos gave her another Passport, for the Edain Immigration cue, so that she could hang out with Beren in the Halls til the end of days? This all says to me that there were 'rules' about the Spirit and where it went, that, somehow, were not *intrinsically* linked to genes/body/look. But to something 'else' and what that 'else' actually is, I have no *bleep* idea. But--does that make Luthien a 'Man'? Hmm, not sure we have a best-fit word for what happened to her. I think I'd still call her 'of Elvenkind'

2. About Glorfindel the reborn, who slew a Balrog (shunting aside the reincarnation stuff--I did read the materials, and know a little about the Glorfindel debate. Reborn, boated out of Numenor and all that was interesting to read). Is he uber-Elrond and uber-Galadriel, assuming he was the 'same' being?

I don't think being reborn would, necessarily, imply he is the greatest. I'm not sure of his power quotient, whatever that means, but he wasn't afraid of the nine, and he didn't get an Elven Ring. Does that mean he was lesser in the stature of 'power' or more that he was just less of a noble line? Who knows.

Unfortunately, though, Tolkien had a terrible habbit, um I mean hobbit, woops, habit of (as I said in jest), of 'lordifying bestest, then unbesting the lord, who was then unlordified and undefeatedly bestified by the new VFF, BFF or Rugby League sports hero, who was the Lorewisest but dumbest. Which all means: I have a headache here. *rubs temples* *screams*

But, if I had to pin one of the "greatest-est-esty-estest-great-not-un-grate, woops ingrate, no, I mean, un-great-ified, I'd go for Feanor, and Galadriel, first [who was unfriends forever with Feanor because they invented Facebook]. Then, Enerdhil that jeweller about the Elessar making (he was best-est at jewell smithery, assuming he ever lived), then Fingolfin, Beren, Luthien - wait, now I do have a headache.

3. On Three. I guess so. He pressed in to surround Imladris didn't he?

Last edited by Ivriniel; 03-23-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Ivriniel is offline   Reply With Quote