View Single Post
Old 09-01-2006, 05:51 PM   #159
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Saucie-- we've agreed to disagree before, old chap. No hard feelings on my part; I'm hoping there are no hard feelings on yours either. But IMO, this does rehash a lot of the canonicity & eucatastrophe ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
Really? I was under the impression that I couldn't care less if LotR is Christian in nature, appearance, or dream. I only ever argued that if I wanted to see that meaning, nobody should have the nerve to say I can't.
I'll take it a step further than that. The owner of this thread asked a simple question, which was this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansun
Does anyone think Tolkien effectively stole many of his ideas from the Bible? Examples are the Balrog - Satan; Saruman/Grima - Judas; Gandalf the White resurrection; Elrond - Jesus?
If your answer is "Yep, professor's a thief," then state your list of items stolen.

If your answer is, "I wouldn't say stole but I think there are some things that connect," you may have some lengthy explaining to do.

But if your answer is "No, I don't think so, " that doesn't take very long to say.

This looks, to me, like a thread that's been hijacked. If you want to have a debate about whether making these connections is somehow forced or strained or immoral or illegal or what have you-- feel free to start your own thread.

There is plenty that I'd like to say about what I do see. I have no problem with someone else saying "I see nothing." But if you insist that I have no right to see what I see, do you seriously expect me to respect your insistence?

Meanwhile, the original intent of this thread is buried in replays of older threads. If we want to rehash old debates, let's take it back to the old threads.