View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 08:39 AM   #630
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Childe Sharon, I enjoyed looking at the second burrow to which you linked! How interesting to read about the thoughts of the persons involved and see the very hobbitish structure. I find it very attractive on the one hand - on the other, I wouldn't want to actually live in a hole. Without straight-sided surfaces, where would I hang paintings and above all, my patchwork wall hangings?! There might be some who would see that as an advantage - quilters' families have been known to complain that they feel as if they're living in a padded cell, albeit a very cheerful one!

Both structures are variations on the theme of Arts and Crafts, and as such neither is very far from Tolkien's heart - and mine. And the straight-sided "boxes" in which most of us live can be made artistic in whichever way we prefer. That's sub-creativity!

At any rate, I'm very much enjoying the lively discussion to which we geezers have roused ourselves - more, please!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote