View Single Post
Old 09-22-2002, 09:28 AM   #156
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Let's work on one task at a time.

What we know:

The Star is 100 miles off the coast of southern Numenor.

There is a storm.

Mithadan, Pio, Ancalimon, and Veritas are onboard the Star.

The Star hobbits, Kali, Bird , and Angara are somewhere to the southeast on the coast of that peninsula. They have found the missing hobbrim.

Angara has been foolish enough to use osanwë and so has been sensed by Gorthaur(Sauron), but not found. Sauron knows nothing of the Star or the hobbrim rescue mission.

The Star has been in the 2nd Age for 5 days.

The Teleri have been on their way for 5 days and will reach us in 15 days.

The Númenorean armada has been gone 6 days and will reach Aman in 33 days.

What we need to do now, is get Angara back to the ship soon so she can fill them in on what she experienced of Sauron's intent.

Then we need to get the hobbrim rescue party(hereafter referred to as HRP) and I'm supposing the hobbrim themselves onto the Star (How many are there, BTW?)

Sauron will be interested in finding the dragon and send say 2 or 3 small, lightly manned craft (not warships) to patrol the coastal waters in hopes of discovering the dragon. Two men, loyal to Sauron, would be enough to pilot these craft.

The HRP and hobbrim cannot get back to the Star because of these patrols. Can we have them stuck there say 3 or 4 days?

I propose moving the Star closer in now to the island. We can somehow make it look as if it were a largish fishing vessel coming back into port.(We had already discussed earlier that we would no longer go with the idea of it being a vessel of Elven design) Ancalimon and Mithadan can be the Old Fisherman and Mith, his first mate/son. The elves would have to stay below decks, out of sight.

We will be hailed by one of the patrol boats and boarded to see who we are. At that point, after some tense questioning by Sauron's man and his growing suspicion of Ancalimon and Mith, we will slay him, board the other craft quickly, slay the other minion and then we have to figure out what to do with their craft.

What say we let Ancalimon use his pyrotechnics here - we can burn the boat to make it look as if Dragonfire had hit it, and then pull away from it to seem as if we were just observers of the terrible wrath of the dragon.

As the other Sauron-craft converge on that area to see what has happened, Ancalimon could shoot off one of his Dragon Fireworks and they go haring off after it while we slip past them to pick up the HRP and the hobbrim and move back out to sea.

**** I wonder if just before this point we can have Daisy volunteer to infiltrate the guard headquarters near Menelarma. The patrolling of the coasts has gotten the hobbits and hobbrim worried that 'something' might be happening at the cave prison. The hobbrim and Levanto (he will need to introduce her to the prison hobbits) can take her upriver and Gamba can take charge of getting her to the Elders. There are already hobbit lasses who work in the HQ office, and don't all hobbits look the same to Men? So, they could exchange her for one who already works there. She can learn of their plans to increase the patrol of the river, increase the guards, and increase the coastal patrol and get the info back through Levanto. When security tightens even further, she can be put in an isolation cell separate from the caves - perhaps they find a directive on her that she has stolen from someones desk.******

Sauron will be 'aware' that something has happened in the area he is having patrolled, but not know details. At this point, I'm thinking he is not in osanwë contact with the people on the 3 craft. The other two craft will report to him through their contact on shore,who will be in direct communication with him.

Sauron will now be on full alert and there will be increased ships (not warships, but now armed somewhat) patrolling the coast.

We will have word through Daisy that this is what has been ordered, as well as increased guards at the prison, and patrols of the River.

Once we get through this section of the story - then let's break down the rest of the tasks to be done and tackle them one at a time.