View Single Post
Old 01-30-2006, 07:52 PM   #6
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
This is my favorite sequence in the film by far, and one of the best in any of the movies.

Actually, I was more irritated at Aragorn taking so long to kill Lurtz than that 'Gorn, Leggy, and Gimmy killed so many Uruks. But maybe I'm in the wrong. The way I see it, the average Uruk ought to be about on the level of a sturdy man of Gondor or Rohan. Maybe a little higher. So I don't see any reason why the gruesome, uh, threesome shouldn't eat their lunch. Although, I must agree that considering how much PJ builds up the Uruks in the film, viewers may think, "Well, dude, they're falling just like the regular orcs in Moria! They're nothing special."

Boromir's death is absolutely awesome, and yes alatar, no doubt it was the right decision to put in this film. IMHO, Viggo matches Sean shot for shot acting-wise, although Sean does have the advantage of being the one who's dying. Both of them are great actors, and they play that scene magnificently. Although I do kind of get a little thrown off by the whole disappearing-and-reappearing-hand-on-Aragorn's-shoulder thing. But other than that...

Frodo and Sam's last big scene is also brilliantly scripted and acted. The Gandalf flashback (which actually isn't a flashback since Gandalf changes it to "all YOU have to decide is what to do with the time that is given YOU") is perfect, and cements my conviction that Ian McKellen should've won an Oscar for his performance.

Interesting that Edward Ross' solo "In Dreams" is included on "The Breaking of the Fellowship" track on the soundtrack, but it's not in its place in the film. Pity, because it's a great solo, putting words to the beloved Shire theme. Was this done so that Enya could get the Best Original Song Oscar?

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote