View Single Post
Old 03-12-2004, 07:26 AM   #107
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Time of year?

Something I've been meaning to ask: what time of year is this story set in? I had assumed it to be spring, in order to give the settler hobbits the summer to build shelters and grow crops against winter, but the (wonderfully well-written) vixen has been feasting on "berries, grass and apples" which would seem to indicate that we are actually at the end of summer (with the berries and grasses) or even early fall (apples)!!

Believe it or not, but this is actually quite important for me to know when writing for Fordogrim. . .for reasons that will become clear (I hope) when (or if) he reaches the White Downs.

And one more thing. Regin has Harold lamenting that he will once again be handing money and rent over to the Whitfoots once the hobbits resettle -- but is that how a settlement would be? I had rather assumed that just like the North American west, the land is there "for the taking" (without, of course, and Native American/Middle-Earthians for the hobbits to steal it from!), in which case the Chubbs can just set up shop on their own, with their own land. . .right? or not?