View Single Post
Old 08-16-2002, 02:24 PM   #15
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Tolkien

*choking on cookie*

Eomer, but the crack was bound to appear somewhere. My friend stressed that because Aredhel is a woman, her mistake is more significant, because it is so "out of character" for a woman to risk her life in that fashion. I happen to think this sort of behaviour is actually pretty common, though I doubt Tolkien was much concerned with the female psyche when drafting the chain that would lead to the eventual fall of Gondolin.

Here is another thing: could you say that Aredhel was somehow ensnared by the Oath of Fëanor, and that the oath itself is the underlying reason for her departure? Then, after the evil has played half it's part and Maeglin is born, she is pulled in the other direction, back to Gondolin, so that the betrayal may someday come from within. Do I get another cookie?

I'm sorry if this is something that's obvious, or even stupid, I've just never really thought about Aredhel's role in this way before.