View Single Post
Old 04-16-2007, 10:40 AM   #93
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
Well, I think we need to define magic for our discussion.
No, no, no- let's keep this issue muddy.
Quote:
I would call it abilities to interact with the world that go beyond the purely phisical possibilities of the body
But how is physical power to influence and interact with matter any more natural (less magical) than spiritual/mental power to influence and interact with matter? Inherent natural power is inherent natural power, no matter if it is physical or not.

If we meet a race of aliens from Neptune that cannot make audible sounds but communicate telepathically, would you honestly call what they do "magic"? No. It would just be different and amazing. Also, our ability to communicate orally would be just as different and amazing from their point of view, so if what they do is indeed "magic" then our ability to speak is equally magical to them.
Quote:
I presume you agree that need can be perceived differently, according to circumstances, and if ability to interact with magical objects is positively influenced by the degree of need that is felt, then we can't discard magic-interaction explanation.
So, you are saying that the rope may have been specifically designed to react physically to the wielder on a sensitive emotional basis? That the rope could sense the amount of urgency in the mind of the person touching it and would be activated if the urgency exceeded a certain threshold?

That's a fine theory. It fits nicely with my view of "magic"- that it is specific and precise. And it could also explain the inconsistency with Haldir in Lothlorien untying the rope.

You can certainly choose to believe that if you wish. I can't think of anything to definitively refute it. But my instinct tells me that Elves wouldn't design a rope like that.

Can you imagine anyone building a microwave that would only work for starving people, who were desperately hungry? It's not efficient. If you're going to make something that works, wouldn't it make logical sense to allow it to work all the time?

Just like the boats from Lothlorien. They weren't just light when they needed to be carried. The cloaks weren't camouflage only when enemy eyes were upon them. Now, items more unique and special, like Galadriel's vial of light, I can see being more complex and containing emotional and vocal triggers. But rope- I have difficulty believing it.