View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008, 07:22 AM   #302
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
I was going to say, that the names I gave, Redwald, would actually be Rædwald (Reodwald?) and Ælfred.
If I understand my etymology and linquistics correctly, the Æ sound was prominent in Wessex (the south near Winchester) whereas the Eo sound was prominent in Mercia (Oxford and surround).

Quote:
And maybe, we could say that people from different Emnets had different Anglo-Saxon dialects, but that might be pushing it. I'm not an expert on how Tolkien wanted the Rohirrim (Eorlings?) to speak Englisc.
I think this is a valid point, and one that Tolkien would have appreciated, especially considering that Anglo-Saxon England stretched across a rather hilly land (in general) that takes up less space than the plains of Cardolan (Rohan). Granted, the Anglo-Saxons had few horses whereas the horses of the Eorlingas turn Rohan's plains into a virtual highway such that dialects would arguably be minimized. It's a tough call. Anyway, I think we need not get ourselves bogged down in this too much. We can use any Anglo-Saxon name we like, be it Mercian, Wessexian, Kentish, East Anglian, Yorkish, take your pick.