View Single Post
Old 07-13-2004, 01:58 PM   #386
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Mellonin, Dec 22.

Mellonin made two trips to the stream, eyes locked on the ground each way, filling four water skins. She reached for the kettle to make a third trip, but a hand was placed over hers. Raefindan took the kettle. "Walk with me, " he said.

They walked to the stream together.

At the stream, Raefindan set the kettle down, and spoke.

"Tell me of your brother."

She heaved a deep sigh, and nodded. "He is gentle, and helpful, and kind. And he never gives me orders and never mocks me."

"Unlike our young friend yonder."

"Very unlike."

"Your brother loves you very much."

"He would always help me. Always cheer me. He never gave me cause for sorrow."

Raefindan frowned. "Never?"

"Never, " she repeated, firmly. "He was the kindest, gentlest boy I've ever known. He always listened, always cared, always gave me aid. I never bore a struggle alone; he was always by my side."

Raefindan nodded. "Now he cannot share your sorrow. But to make matters worse, he is the cause of it. Is he not?"

One hand went to her lips, and she nodded, but frowned, and shook her head. "I promised I would be strong henceforth, " she choked.

Raefindan said, "Then be strong enough for honesty." He waited.

After several tries she said through her teeth, "Why did he leave me? Why? How could he do that to me?" Anger and grief mixed in her face, and she pressed both hands to her lips and fought back the tears. Raefindan put one hand on her shoulder, and she grasped his forearm. He waited as her angry tears fell. They subsided, only to be followed by tears of sadness.

By the time they returned to the camp with the kettle of water, Ravion had the rest of the camp ready and was tending to Gwyllion with Aeron's help. Raefindan and Mellonin set a rock in the fire and set the kettle on the rock.

Last edited by mark12_30; 07-13-2004 at 02:02 PM.