View Single Post
Old 08-24-2003, 09:01 AM   #11
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I agree with the propouse to take 'Húrins wanderings' and try to build the tow missing chapters out of HoME II, HoME IV and Sil '77 material.
I will try to add something to Aiwendils plot: When I remeber rightly, it was JRR Tolkien him self how noted that it would ruine the gesture, when Húrin must go to Doriath and ask for help in the tarnspprot of the treasure. So I think that we must retain the outlaws at least into Doriath.
But if the outlaws are to go in peace from Menegroth, than I think they would best leave it in company with Húrin. Since of Húrins further aktions is nothing said, other than his death in the western see, you could left thier fate dubious as well. (I could writ a nice fan-fic about Húrins death, after finding Tours spear in Vinyamar and thier with recongince that he had brought ruin to Gondolin as well - but that doesn't belong here.) On the other hand we could also use Mîms crouse and the quarells on the road as solution for thier fate and only move it to the time after they left Menegroth. But that is agian a very riscy course to go.

Posted by Aiwendil:
Quote:
I would also certainly eliminate two points that seem to have been fabricated for the 77. First, return to the earlier story where the Nauglamir was wrought by the Dwarves out of the treasure of Nargothrond, rather than being an ancient artifact that lay in the hoard. Second, remove the moment where Melian lifts the spell of Morgoth from Húrin, since (unless I'm forgetting something) there is no indication that this was to occur.
I agree with Aiwendil in these points. As fare as I know we have no indications in any text written by JRR Tolkien that he would have changed his plot in respect to these points, so I don't think they should be used, even if they could be used in accordance with rules of the project.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote