View Single Post
Old 07-16-2016, 10:38 PM   #36
denethorthefirst
Haunting Spirit

denethorthefirst has just left Hobbiton.
Sauron has no emotional or sentimental attachment or feelings of loyalty towards Melkor ... to assume that would be a total misreading of his Charakter. Sauron was drawn to melkor because of his power and he constructed the Melkor-Religion in Numenor not out of a genuine feeling of loyalty but because he himself, as a defeated Prisoner was not a credible focal Point. There was a Thread about this Topic (saurons loyalty) a while back and the consensus was that melkor is not a Factor in saurons Motivations at all. Tolkien himself wrote that sauron considered melkor to be a failure. Sauron is a cold, cynical egotist and not some romantic idealist. Sauron didnt even participate in the war of wrath, he hid himself away and watched the whole spectacle from the sidelines ... The war lasted over forty years, not once did sauron think "hey I should help my "master" in his existential fight for survival" ... The surviving balrogs probably hate sauron because of this betrayal and would not be willing to work for him or accept his authority. Also: if you believe that the one ring somehow "channels" the morgoth element in arda, than that makes sauron effectively an usurper and enemy of his former master ...
Would the Balrog be tempted by the ring? Definitely, even if he might object to its existence, but I don't think that he would be able to master it. Tolkien wrote that only Gandalf might (!) be expected to master the one ring, but even that's hypothetical (I don't think Gandalf would be able to achieve it).
denethorthefirst is offline   Reply With Quote