View Single Post
Old 03-25-2004, 11:44 AM   #29
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Estel we call it, that is "trust". It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and first being.
Thanks for dredging this thread up again, Heren Istarion! I am always amused and intrigued by the way I am fed the scraps of the Finrod ah Andreth since I do not own a copy of it. It is always widely quoted around here! The idea of "trust" seems quite appropriate to Frodo's motivations in his quest, however. He often makes decisions based on his perception of Gandalf's advice. At first, when he and Sam encounter Gollum, Frodo feels distaste and a desire to leave or do away with Gollum. He doesn't do so, simply because he trusts Gandalf. At first, it is a deliberate and academic trust, but later he comes to understand its nature more.

As for Frodo's motivations in taking the Ring upon himself on the path to Mount Doom, I believe that it wasn't so much the Ring's influence, as his deep desire to make the world safe for all he loves--especially Bilbo and the Shire. I agree with those who have said he feels responsibility, but that responsibility is born out of his love for all he knows. I would go on, but, alas, responsibility calls, and I must go!

Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote