View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 03:20 PM   #26
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

ArcusCalion has just left Hobbiton.
CE-EX-30: I see now your point. I had forgotten about the Ulmo description in the Later Tuor. Having read that, I see that you are right.

CE-EX-39: agreed to all

CE-EX-45: To me it sounds fine, but I do not object if you think the change too much.

CE-EX-56: agreed

For this next section I apologize, I had not removed the comments from before I rearranged the text. Therefore many of my comments no longer apply. This is true of all of these:

Quote:
ArcusCalion wanted to remove the following footnote as ‘too complex’:
Quote:
[footnote: For the late {PQ}[Primitive Quendian] gl- as an initial variation of l- see General Phonology. Though this Clan-name has *glind- in Sindarin, the g- does not appear in Amanya Telerin, nor in Nandorin, so that in this case it may be an addition in Sindarin, which favoured and much increased initial groups of this kind.]
I don’t agree to this. It is in a footnote already. Readers not interested in such things will easily go over it.

Quote:
According to the legend, preserved in almost identical form among both the Elves of Aman and the Sindar, ...
To this phrase ArcusCalion commented:
Quote:
as has been told
I don’t know if that was meant as an proposed addition to the text or as an argument for removal. Either way I am inclined to let the text be as it is. Yes we have told that legend just a few pages above, but that makes the back reference not useless or wrong.

Quote:
... The first Avari that the Eldar met again in Beleriand seem to have claimed to be Tatyar, who acknowledged their kinship with the Exiles, though there is no record of their using the name Noldo in any recognizable Avarin form. They were actually unfriendly to the Noldor, and jealous of their more exalted kin, whom they accused of arrogance. ...
Quote:
breaks the linear story telling
That is true, but it is true for many points in this linguistic stuff. Nonetehless they transport many important points which I would not loss. And we have in Sil77 as well such examples. So I would not change the text for this.

Quote:
Vanyar thus comes from an adjectival derivative *wanja from the stem *WAN. Its primary sense seems to have beenkn very similar to English (modern) use of 'fair’ with reference to hair and complexion; though its actual development was the reverse of the English: it meant 'pale, light-colored, not brown or dark', and its implication of beauty was secondary. In English the meaning ‘beautiful’ is primary. From the same stem was derived the name given in Quenya to the Valië Vána wife of Oromë.
Quote:
delete
But I don’t see why, so please explain.

Quote:
… is already referred to in the legend of 'The Awakening of the Quendi’, which says of the Nelyar that 'they sang before they could speak with words.’ …
Quote:
Already gave the tale
I don’t know if that was meant as an proposed addition to the text or as an argument for removal. Either way I am inclined to let the text be as it is. Yes we have told that legend just a few pages above, but that makes the back reference not useless or wrong.

The last comment of ArcusCalion was about the shift of the footnote, on which I have already reacted above.
All of your objections are of course true, and my comments here stemmed from when the linguistic material was intruding into the narrative, which I found very jarring. Having separated the two, these comments are no longer applicable.

That being said, for the rest of your changes to this section I agree. I am curious what the reasoning was for abandoning the relation of the Years of the Trees to the Years of the Sun? I was not aware that the timeline changed.
ArcusCalion is offline   Reply With Quote