View Single Post
Old 04-01-2006, 04:59 PM   #159
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Kara was already halfway through the window when Ruthven appeared round the corner. Her arrival was so unexpected that it made both Linduial and Saeryn jump, causing them to push Kara a little harder than they had intended. A few brief seconds later she found herself on the floor inside the kitchen, fortunately mostly unharmed.

"Kara!" Came a panicked voice from outside. "Kara! Are you alright?"

"I'm fine!" She called back and rose to her feet, coughing as the dust flew up off her. She brushed herself off a little and waved a hand past the window so those outside could see she was safe.

The kitchen was dim, lit only by the light coming in from the window. It was also a mess, and even though she'd been working in there for gone a week now, Kara was having difficulty finding her way about. There was rubble all over the place, and where the floor wasn't covered in dirt or loose stones it was littered with pots and pans. Picking her way through carefully Kara called out to Frodides.

"Hello? Frodides? Where are you?"

"Here, girl." Came a weakened voice, completely unlike that of the Hall's normally fierce and sturdy cook.

Following the noise Kara found the woman huddled beneath the table, which seemed to be the only thing in the kitchen still in it's rightful place save the oven. She bent down and saw at once that Aedhel would be needed, for Frodides had a long gash in her leg, and it looked deep. The cook herself was pale and obviously in pain, though she wouldn't admit it, taking Kara's hand and pulling herself up with the slightest of winces. Taking a deep breath she steadied herself as Kara let go of her to find a chair.

"So, how are we getting out of here. Or hadn't you thought that far?"

"Of course we had Frodides. We're going out the same way as I came in, through the window."

The cook turned to her with an incredulous look.

"You expect a woman of my age to go crawling through small holes? I'd rather sit here and wait thank you." She took the chair Kara had just found and sat herself down on it, folding her arms and refusing to budge. But Kara had not just learnt recipes and cooking techniques over the past few days, she had also learnt how to deal with Frodides, and was especially grateful for that knowledge now.

"Well, if you don't think you're up to it then of course I will wait here with you. I'm sure Lord Eodwine wouldn't think any the less of you for it. After all, you are getting older now and . . ."

She never got the chance to finish, as Frodides hauled herself to her feet again and began to make her slow but determined way over to the window, hauling the chair behind her.

"Don't think I don't know what you're doing girl. My body may be ageing but my mind's as sharp as it ever was."

Kara nodded respectfully as she took the chair from Frodides and positioned it underneath the window.

"And don't you think I'm doing this to prove you wrong, oh no, I'm just doing it to save you having to explain to your young friends out there that I was quite happy where I was and didn't need rescuing at all."

Continuing to agree Kara helped her onto the chair and climbed up with her. Together they managed to get Frodides' injured leg through the window and her foot into Linduial and Saeryn's hands. Now balanced, Kara helped Frodides swing her other leg through and carefully she was lowered down to the ground, with Kara quickly following. She showed the others the cut on Frodides' leg and it was immediately agreed that Aedhel should be found. Seeing that Kara had a better idea of what to do with the injury than she did, Linduial offered to find the girl, and ran off to do just that.

Thinking it would be a few minutes at least until she returned Kara turned to Ruthven.

"Could I take one of your shawls please ma'am? We need to keep Frodides warm til Aedhel arrives."