View Single Post
Old 08-12-2002, 01:27 PM   #7
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Question

I don't know if this is the proper place to post this, or if this topic has been discussed and dealt with before.
From the Book of Lost Tales 2: The Fall of Gondolin
Quote:
But the others, led by one Legolas Greenleaf of the house of the Tree, who knew all that plain by day or by dark, and was night-sighted, made much speed over the vale for all their weariness, and halted only after a great march.
Quote:
Galdor and a band of men spear-armed went ahead, and Legolas was with them, whose eyes were like cats' for the dark, yet could they see further.
Behold, Galdor's men were beset in the dark suddenly by shapes leaping from behind rocks where they had lain hidden even from the glance of Legolas.
Quote:
In the tale appears the keen-sighted Elf Legolas Greenleaf, first of the names of the Fellowship of the Ring to appear in my father's writings (see p. 217 on this earlier Legolas), followed by Gimli (an Elf) in the Tale of Tinúviel.
Quote:
Legolas 'or Green-leaf was a man of the Tree, who led the exiles over Tumladin in the dark, being night-sighted, and he liveth still in Tol Eressëa named by the Eldar there Laiqalassë; but the book of Rúmil saith further hereon.'
I have 2 questions regarding this Legolas. First, can we have the name Legolas used here, I thought that elf names were supossed to be unique.
Second, why is it that in one quote Legolas is referred as an elf and in the other as a man. To have the sight that he has, definitely I would think that he was an elf.
I know that in the FOG, they refer the companies of the Houses (Glorfindel, Galdor) as men, is this going to be addressed at all.