View Single Post
Old 07-31-2002, 08:37 AM   #369
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Child looked at Rose and softly shook her head. "I don't think we need to worry about what Morgoth thinks. As far as we know, he has no idea we're coming or what we'll try to do. The one thing we have protecting us that can keep us from harm is his ignorance about us and our existence."

"If we manage to rescue the hobbits, then it doesn't matter what he knows because our people will be safe. If we don't, then he'll think he has won and won't bother with us anymore. Of course, the ship and crew will try again and again until they do succeed, even if it takes a hundred tries, but he won't know that."

"And, don't forget your history. As Beleriand sinks under the waves, Morgoth will be thrust into the void. He can't bother us from there. In fact, the only thing more important than keeping our secret from Morgoth is keeping it from Sauron, who is his chief lieutenant."

"You know, it's possible that we may even meet Sauron, sometime and someplace in Beleriand. and, if that happens, we can not let him know who we are or what happened in the Third Age. That is the worst thing we could do, not just for our own people, but for all of Middle-earth."

"Your other question, Rose, the one about why he would order our capture, and whether he has ever done that with Elves, Men or Dwarves....." Child's voice trailed off. She sat in silent reflection, and then spoke to the young hobbit.

"I have wondered about this hour upon end, and the true answer is that I don't know. Morgoth is an evil creature who hates all beings, especially those who are free and love goodness. He bears little love for Elves, Men, or Dwarves unless they serve his will. He has killed without hesitation, and I am certain he would kill more if he could. But even his wanton murders are not as hideous as his efforts to corrupt and twist the souls of all around him."

"And yet, Rose, in one way, I think you're right. Somehow, with us, it is different. His hatred, his desire, are more focused. I think it is because he wants to rid the world of all hobbits, preferably by corrupting us into his service. If he finds he can't do that, then I think he will try to eliminate us, down to the very last child. For some reason, he wishes none of us to live, at least as a free people of Middle-earth."

"But why? Why us?" Rose whispered. "Why would he do such a thing? We are not strong like men or wise like Elves or even talented with the beautiful things of the world like Dwarves. We are so little, so unimportant in the great affairs of the world."

Child sighed, "I know, Rose. I know. And I truly can not say why. Perhaps it's merely that he thinks we are different, and he doesn't like that difference. Or because we have too much simple joy and fruitful earth in our lives. And he is no friend to joy or sweetness. Or maybe there is something more, something that we don't know, and couldn't understand even if some power told us. Perhaps, we have some role to play. Perhaps, when Melkor heard the Music, he heard a single line which whispered something about our people, something that made him fear. He may have tried to drown out the line, but it hasn't gone away."

"You know, there may have been something beyond chance that picked out Bilbo or Frodo or even Gollum to carry the Ring. And maybe the picking is not over. Maybe, in some other day and age, there will be another picking of hobbits or hobbrim. And perhaps Morgoth fears that."

"But I suspect that our own part is simpler. It is merely to hold on, to endure, and our people are good at that." Child sat and thought. There were many things in life that were beyond her, things that Mithadan or Bird or Pio could do with ease and confidence. But holding on was definitely within her capabilities. She privately vowed that, whatever happened, she would not despair or let go.

"That is all I know or can guess. I wish I understood more but that is the best I can do." Child reached down to gently hug Rose.

She hesitated, and then spoke again. "It's possible, Rose, that, in Beleriand, I may need to go off on my own, to do some things which need doing. I know you'll understand, and won't feel bad. Don't worry about it, it's nothing terribly important."

Rose said nothing, but promised herself to keep a close eye on her older friend.

[ August 04, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]