View Single Post
Old 07-31-2002, 05:34 PM   #377
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Child went to check on Rose and see how she was coming along. The young hobbit was packing a number of items in a bag to sling over her back. Child and Rose were discussing their provisions when there was a knock on the cabin door.

Kali and Daisy came in together. Kali carried a small dagger in his hand, and Daisy a wooden bow with arrows.

Kali explained why they had come. "We knew you couldn't take your sword, Rose, and we wanted you to have something to protect yourself. We've brought what we have to share with you. They are simple weapons but they will help if you need to guard your life or to search for game to eat. Please take them."

For one moment, Rose thought she might say no, but immediately realized how false such a response would be. She thanked her two friends for their generosity, and promised to do her best to return the bow and knife as soon as possible. She gave Daisy a hug and squeezed Kali's hand.

Then Rose turned to face the hobbrim and said: "I will do my best Kali. If your kin are there, we will find them."

Just as Kali and Daisy were about to go out the door, Child came over and said, "Kali, we've asked you a hundred different questions, but there is one important one which everyone has forgotten. Do you have a family surname?"

Kali turned in puzzlement, "A family surname? What is that?"

Child replied, "It is a name that everyone shares in a single family, and it is usually passed down from parents to son."

Kali's eyes lit up, "Yes, we have this name. But we do not use it often. My family's name....it was 'Burrowes.'"

"Thank you, Kali," Child responded. "That may be important or not, but every scrap of information we can gather may help us break through the puzzle."

[ August 01, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]