View Single Post
Old 01-22-2004, 12:47 AM   #204
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Avanill

Avanill was now struck by a new fear. Had he made the right decision? He was not entirely sure. All he wanted to be sure of was that he stayed alive. Breathing deeply he trod his way through the underbrush his sword drawn and alert. His thoughts were with Naiore, he wondered exactly what it was that made her choose Barrold and himself, and after the violent display of elf power on Vanwe he wondered what would become of her. Surely being this close to Rivendell the elves would be able to help her, maybe by now Naiore has already begun her fall. he thought slowing to observe which way he was going, steadily he headed down a ravine.

Avanill was not a tracker so it was a surprise to him when he was surrounded by three orcs. “Fantastic” he muttered as he drew also his knife. these are the ones Naiore gathered he said to himself. “I thought there would be more of you.” He said to them but they did not answer instead coming at him. Avanill was ready for them though, surprise attacks were something his mother had trained him for, since he was a boy. All he had to remember was stay calm. The first orc came at him from in front while the second came from behind. Avanill in swift movements cut the throat of one. Avanill being young, had strength was on his side, he knew this and used it to his advantage, impaling the second but not before the third leapt onto his back and cut him across the shoulder. With one yell he flipped the orc over his shoulder and promptly beheaded it.

“Stupid sods.” He muttered. “What if I had still been in Naiore’s side?” shaking his head he sheathed his knife before noticing the nagging pain of his shoulder. Avanill pulled the material of his shirt enough so that he could see the crimson of blood appearing. He sighed and gathered up what had fallen to the ground during the scuffle and continued down along the ravine

It was then that he saw the figure of an older man coming towards him form the opposite direction. Avanill stood still, there was no use in him hiding, for the other man had seen him too, he had grey eyes, Avanill couldn’t help thinking how much like blade steel they looked in the fading light, and after surveying him for a minute Avanill realised the weather beaten man to be a ranger. so much for a clean getaway . Still holding his sword he bowed to the man as a sign of respect.

“Are you going to attack me?” the other man asked, standing his ground.

“Why? I have no quarrel with you sir, so indeed, quite the opposite. Some orcs have already taken my edge for a random scuffle away in a hurry” His voice was cool and calm as he sheathed his sword. a ranger would not attack an unarmed man who has stated he does not want a fight he thought daringly and moved a step closer. The older man did not move.

“What is your name and what purpose do you have for being here.”

“My name is Avanill son of At-“ he stopped, he thought perhaps that the mention of his mothers name would make the ranger suspect to his background.

“Avanill son of Atoren, as for my purpose of being here, it was to kill Naiore, and Barrold Ferney. He has killed some men whom I hold in high esteem, not to mention my sister. As for killing Naiore, she has taken something close to me and corrupted her. So much that she fears me” He stopped, and a rush of pain came over his face, from his back. He was quite pleased with the story he had spun on the spot. “My predicament is quite complicated.” He finished.

“The our plight is somewhat the same, we both seek the death of the elf.” The older man “My name is Rauthain”

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-11-2006 at 10:23 AM.