View Single Post
Old 01-15-2001, 08:22 AM   #12
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wight
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
CRRT and Silm org.

Durelen said:&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp I think that the new draft should stick to a basic chronological outline as
much as possible. I am ok with adding from HoME and UT where necessary or appropriate, i.e. adding UT Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin to The Fall of Gondolin.

agreed

Durelen said: But drawing from texts such as UT The Druedain, should be left to a later chapter and should not be incorporated with The Coming of Men into the West.

I don't know of a later Silm chapter that could accomadate it. Unless we create a new chapter altogether [?] which is something I have not as yet invisaged. All of the goings on of Turin/ Hurinin Brethil are pretty self-contained. A Silmarilion appendix maybe the best place. Although a bit of Druedain,and Finrod and Andreth, to my mind might possibly fit into of the coming of men, as a historical note to what was going on , more than the fulfledged tale.

Durelen said: I think the Chapter 'Of Maeglin' should be moved from after the Lay of
Lethian to after the the bit on Tuor.

But Maeglin is already in Gondolin when Tuor gets there , and has been for some hundred[s] of years
perhaps there is something here I am not getting.

Durelen said: After all of that, I think one of you said something on one of the older threads in here about actual extending '77. This should be done by Placing two seperate books in the new silm. the first could be the Akallabeth, and the second should be everything that occurred during the Second Age in ME(insert The Druedain here). The second book should take most of the chapters from UT.

I agree in principle,although I would say 2nd and 3rd age, as the Galadriel material is both. As is Cirion and Eorl and the Istari. It could end w/ the quest for Erebor ,as a segue into' the hobbit'

I would give it a working title of say, 'Of the Rings of Power and the tales of the Second and Third Ages

Re: the Numenorean Material , I would like [not nec. now] like to brainstorm the possibilities of including 'description of the isle of Numenor'the Line of Elros into the Akallabeth [mostly as aprelude ] and Aldarion and Erendis as an interude, the Akallabeth can stand as an independently titled substory at the end.
===========
I just foung an interesting quote of CRRT which belongs in lit. devices , but as I am here now ...

It is CRRT speaking frankly of his editorial [and a bit more] handling p. 8 UT :
' ...and in the earlier part of the story [Aldarion and Erendis] I have rewritten much of the material in the attempt to give some degree of stylistic homogeneity. throughout it's course. this rewriting is entirely a matter of of wording , and never alters meaning or introduces inauthentic elements .'
============
This is something to debate on another thread maybe, as the lines between JRRT/Fanfiction have blurred here. I myself have never had a problem w/CRRT's doing what needed to be done to get 77 and UT to us,
it is only now w/ HoME that he honestly tells us he backed away from the big job his father was aiming for [both MT and Old style versions] this is where my dissatisfaction comes in. not by any means do I think I could have done better w/ a chaotic mass of fading manuscripts that he had. I would have given up in despair, or [at the very best -which is unlikely] as he did publish the relatively finished and straightforward stuff quickly [UT] and make a Silm that was more or less streamlined and avoided many of the really thorny issues [except the death of thingol] which was unavoidable, which he did [77]. And then if I couldn't rest; turn to making a compilation of the whole mess. [HoME].

thus we have published for us, as neatly as can be all [or 95% +] of the material needed to do what CRRT could have done ,had he pondered longer , done alot of difficult homework on the HoME stuff first, before publishing 77, and applying the above principles of supplementational writing he mentions and used in UT.

thoughts?

lindil

</p>
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote