View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 04:03 PM   #10
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
I can permit the bed hopping. If it wasn't done silently, it might have been a problem. But PJ, in these last fifteen minutes, makes an important point from Tolkien: that although M and P were affected by their adventures and journeys, it wasn't in the same way as Sam was. I think this is one way in which PJ does it. Another is in the coronation scene, when the people bow to the four hobbits. All four look touched to some degree, but we notice that Merry and Pippin's expressions are pretty different from Frodo and Sam's. Again, later in the Grey Havens, Merry and Pippin turn away from the ship toward home while Sam continues to look into the horizon.

Notice that although Frodo utters the names of Gandalf, Gimli, and Aragorn, he doesn't say anything when Legolas enters the room. Was it because Pippin had knocked the wind out of him, or did he just forget the Elf's name?

What think ye of 'Gorn's crown? It's certainly not the one Tolkien envisioned; JRRT actually made a drawing of the crown and you can see it in his Letters. It works OK, but I would have preferred Tolkien's.

Interesting to see Agent Elrond tearing up in joy. Note that the only times we really see him smile are his first and last appearances in the films; I'm not counting his grim grin as he announces the Fellowship's formation.

Elijah Wood just does some brilliant voiceover here, and I think he was definitely the right choice. He's a much-maligned Frodo and seems to be a fanboy-type in real life, but he's an outstanding actor and does a phenomenal job from beginning to end.

Love some of the humor here in the return to the Shire: the reaction shot from Proudfoot, the reactions from the three hobbits as Sam does whatever to Rosie, and Pippin catching the bouquet.

The music is absolutely haunting as the Grey Havens scene begins, and it's great throughout the scene.

According to the BTS documentaries, the GH scene was filmed not once, not twice, but three times. The first shoot was rendered unusable because Sean Astin took off his vest for lunch break and forgot to put it back on for the afternoon. The second shoot turned out to be out of focus. But third time paid for all, or something like that. Imagine being Wood, Astin, Monaghan, and Boyd, and having to do that scene three separate times!

The final shot of Sam returning to his home is just that: a single shot. Simple, wide, then zooming in, letting us see what we need to see. Notice that Rosie and not one but two of Sam's children are there to greet him. The second is, of course, Frodo-lad, and doesn't he look like the Ringbearer? Cool thing, that.

"Well, I'm back", and then we're on to the credits! Wait, you mean that's it? No more? Never fear; in good time we'll have the Super Duper Deluxe Extended Extended LOTR To End All LOTR Edition, and then we'll get to see Sam's struggle with the Two Watchers, as well as Legolas and Gimli's fortunes after the War!

Or perhaps not. Oh well, PJ, it's been a pretty good ride anyway! Thanks for giving me my three favorite movies (or is it my one favorite movie?) of all time! Don't know what Tolkien would say, but it's not bad, not bad at all!

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote