View Single Post
Old 05-10-2002, 05:49 PM   #180
Kalessin
Wight

Kalessin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Man Of Westernesse

I do appreciate and respect the sincerity and humility of your post. Thank you [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Tolkien's faith as a devout Catholic, inferring as it does a certain worldview and moral sensibility, IS of course relevant to an academic understanding of his work. And if one shares a belief (based on secular or religious principles) in the values (or virtues) of self-sacrifice, loyalty, courage, honour, truth and justice, then LotR will strike a chord. And if one believes in the possibility of (secular or religious) moral redemption, or the overcoming of destructive and selfish forces - either personal or external, then his works will resonate. As narrative literature, there are profound and archetypal themes to be found in Tolkien that can move and enrich the open-hearted reader.

Of course, there are other cultural factors which influence a reader's relationship with Tolkien's work, to lesser or greater degrees. Each reader will have, in the end, a unique and individual experience and perception of the work.

Still, if an open-hearted reader shares Tolkien's devout faith (or, arguably, any similar religious or spiritual faith) - as opposed to perhaps an agnostic or rationalist "theory of morality" - then these themes will, naturally, resonate profoundly with such a reader's own spiritual core. Anyone interested in Tolkien's works as more than merely "entertaining stories" should acknowledge that his spiritual beliefs are reflected in the morality underpinning his narrative.

It is only the "more than other readers" assertion that I challenge, not the depth of experience, or the 'spiritual sympathy' that I acknowledge various readers WILL feel with Tolkien's moral sensibility and the underlying worldview.

Man of Westernesse has reflected an experience of reading, and an interpretation of Tolkien's faith as part of the relationship between author and audience, which I think has insight, conviction, but most of all, respect and a sense of gentle restraint. As such, I think in fact he deserves some of the praise that he so freely showers upon the rest of us (well, the rest of you ... probably not me [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )

My compliments [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Peace

[ May 10, 2002: Message edited by: Kalessin ]