View Single Post
Old 06-01-2002, 10:30 AM   #190
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Hmmm, do I want to get further into this, or not?
Quote:
Well, there are some Christians who believe that although the Bible was written 'by a multitude of hands from a multitude of sources, across a long period of time' the finished work has only one author: God. Moses and St. Paul is to God what Christopher Tolkien is to his Dad.
It was a small body of Greek/Roman church leaders who voted us our canon of Holy Writ. They did not consult the Irish, Persian, Indian, or any other group of Christians outside the Roman Empire. Who is to say they made all the right choices? Why not include the Gospels of Peter and Thomas? Why include the second letter of Peter? That which constitutes Holy Writ is held to be canon only by accident of history. Which brings us to another question: Did God's hand bring about these accidents of history? That opens a new can of worms and theological wrangle. There is very little about which we can be dead-on certain. Our dearly held beliefs are not certain. Honest evaluation of them shows that they are held by faith. I doubt Tolkien would have been at all comfortable with your comparison of him to God. I see the point you're trying to make by it, but I find it more problematic than helpful.