View Single Post
Old 06-20-2005, 06:20 PM   #64
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
‘If not mad, then surely he is what the goodwives in The Angle call “moonstruck”. He was never this foolish, or foolish at all, really, when he led us.’ Orëmir looked to where Lindir sat, remembering the words of warning he’d spoken before they’d sailed. ‘Perhaps this was an ill-fated little venture on our part. And this island . . . perhaps it strives against us, recalling the old wounds our battles with the Dark One caused it. I’ve heard it said that earth and its outcroppings and deep places hold long their memories. Perhaps this last remnant of a once mighty peak holds some grudge against those who caused its downfall.’ He looked at his brother and shrugged his shoulders at the thought. ‘Who knows?’

Orëmir picked up one of the sticks the fish had been spitted on. He poked at the little fire, pushing the glowing embers closer together before he piled on additional wood. ‘Here, use my blankets for now,’ he said, untying his bedroll and spreading it near the crackling flames. ‘It’s been a long day. Why don’t you get some rest? I’ll take the first watch, as I said.’ He grinned at his brother. ‘Once you’ve got the blankets nice and toasty, I’ll wake you for the second watch. Fair enough?’

He glanced over to where Tasa still looked to Malris for an answer. ‘It really won’t matter what he says. It’s unlikely we’ll bear him bound and protesting from this place to the ship and back to the Grey Havens. He’ll lead; we’ll follow cautiously. Protect ourselves; protect him as we can.’ He glanced upward to the top of the isle where the ruins lay. ‘Besides . . . I’ve decided I want to stand on whatever remains of the northern wall. My last look from there was on the darkness in the north that crept toward us and pushed against what small leaguer we tried to hold against it.’ He shook his head at those long ago memories. ‘He was an Ainu. An Ainu! And one of the mightiest. How wonderfully foolish we were then in our younger years to think we might defeat him.’

Standing, he picked up the belt with his sheathed blade on it and wrapped it round his hips. ‘Let us hope that whatever might infest this old place is something we stand a better chance against.’ His long strides carried him from out the brighter circle of his companions and to a small rocky outcropping nearby where he might keep watch for a while.