View Single Post
Old 10-24-2006, 03:00 AM   #569
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
On the Earthsea-books

They certainly lack the sort of detailed description most fantasy books (walking in Tolkien's footsteps) are full of, but I don't see it as a fault. On the contrary, it works. Le Guin uses a certain simplicity and roughness and it impressed me greatly when I reread the books a while ago. She has no need to overdo anything. I, for one, love her personal style and name her one of my favourite authors.

After A Wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan, The Farthest Shore and Tehanu, two Earthsea books have been published. Tales from Earthsea is a collection of short stories set in the Earthsea and one of them works as a kind of bridge from Tehanu to the next actual book. The next actual book is called The Other Wind and "completes" the story.

In my opinion, the original three (A Wizard of Earthsea, The Tombs of Atuan, The Farthest Shore) are brilliant and way better than the newer ones, but the newer ones are not bad either. I especially recommend the short stories of Tales from Earthsea. Of all the books my favourite is the Tombs of Atuan, it has a wonderful, dark atmosphere I've found in no other book.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote