View Single Post
Old 07-07-2006, 05:10 PM   #126
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Primrose had been sitting by the table and trying very hard not to look at her twisted leg. It hurt terribly, but she was more concerned about Will. Her leg was broken. But Will had hit his head and wasn't quite right yet as far as she could tell as he stumbled unsteadily in the yard. She blamed herself entirely and tried to focus on ways to make her error up to him. The hobbit lass tearfully thought to herself that if Will were hurt badly, she never could do enough to make things right. Fear and worry for him drove the stabbing ache in her leg from her mind, replacing it with a gnawing pain of a different kind centered near a lump in her throat.

The inn staff hurried through the kitchen, seeing what they could do the help the injured pair. Primrose was now numb with worry, no longer crying, failing to notice her friends in her distraction. Cela began to say something that ended in, "What exactly happened out there?" That brought her attention back, along with a rush of tears.

"Oh, Cela! It was all my fault! I'm such a fool."

Cela stared at her, puzzled. "Now, slow down Primrose. One thing at a time before you blame yourself. What happened?"

Primrose brought her eyes to meet Cela's, struggling to calm herself enough to tell the story. "I went out with the basket," she began. "Will was on the roof. I asked if he wanted me to bring the basket up to him, just as a joke. But he said I should take it up and bring him a tarring brush while I was at it. And he wasn't joking." Prim's voice went up a tone as she spoke. "So I went up - or tried. I ought never to have done it. I've never been on a ladder before. And especially not after Will told me there was a loose rung. I put my foot on the loose one and slipped. I fell and the next thing I remember, Will was lying on the ground next to me. He must have heard me fall and tried to come down after me, only the ladder was down too so he didn't make it down." She trembled softly and, ignoring the tears that now fell rapidly down her cheeks, pulled at her hair.

"Cela, how's Will? He didn't look right when they brought me in here. He's hurt worse than me. Everyone ought to be seeing to him, not me."