View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #330
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Coldan waited quietly until Aldarion and his lady had retreated into the house and the great Fornost window had closed behind them. Tell them whatever you need to tell them to stop them bursting in. Indeed. Aldarion might as well have said, Stop Asta catching me with another woman and embarrassing me in front of the local haute-volée; although he had pointedly ignored Coldan's final snide remark, his meaning was clear as Entdraught - and much as Coldan would have relished the sight of Aldarion being the victim of Asta's temper for a change, he had to agree that this was hardly an ideal setting for it. She would have to learn the truth eventually, but not this way.

If only she had had the patience to wait for his return, or Harrenon could prevent her from jumping the gun and taking any desperate measures in the meantime. For a moment he had feared that she had already done something to cause the clanging noise he had just heard, but apparently that had just been these peoples' overdone version of a dinner gong.

Hastily, he crept to the gate at the eastern end of the garden where Aldarion and his companion had entered and breathed a sigh of relief on finding that they had neglected to lock it behind them. He darted through and sprinted along the eastern wing back towards the main entrance and the street. He had almost reached it when he heard a crashing boom from the other side of the grounds.

So much for hope. If Asta had at least lit her dragon-fire far enough away from the back door to distract from the breaking-in! But although the noise was muffled a bit by the shielding mass of the building, it sounded much too close.

Gnashing curses between his teeth and barely remembering to duck his head, he dashed across the front of the mansion and was greeted by a sulphurous stench wafting from behind the west wing; the narrow path between the wing and the outer wall was filled with thick clouds of pungent smoke. When it cleared, he saw the back door torn to splinters, Asta standing before it with a triumphant grin splitting her face, Harrenon a few steps behind her and looking like he might pass out any moment.

Unable to stop himself in time, Coldan collided with Asta, pushing her away from the door and bringing the two of them down in a heap.

"Do you call zis a diversion?" he hissed, his face just a hand above hers. "Zat vas supposed to draw attention avay from us, not tell ze whole house Hullo, here ve come! And didn't I say to vait for me? - Drat you, Harry, vy didn't you stop her? I vas relying on you!"

Last edited by Pitchwife; 06-15-2011 at 05:19 PM.