View Single Post
Old 08-11-2006, 03:54 AM   #33
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
ok so I'll remove the word standard from that sentence then.

but they are interrogation techniques that are used in the time of War. And they were no doubt 'softening him up' - not nice to see, but PJ is adding some realism into the scene. When reading a book we may not see what is happening in the background as we are focused on what is happening on the page, and can divert our precious time to it. But to translate this across to the medium of the Screen, in an ABRIDGED version, then we need to see what is happening in context to the scene.

Sorry, not making myself clear here - what I mean is that Gollum turns against Frodo at this point (in both movie and book to be honest) - in the book we can have narrative to explain why this is happening - in the film we have a roughening up of the character and interrogation by Faramir that jolts 'Gollum' back into the fray. This is a pivotal scene in the film - and Jackson shows his view of what helped turned Gollum back against Frodo (ie being tricked by Frodo into being caught and then roughed up by Faramir's men). PJ was able to show a reason for Gollum's turn in a few seconds. Tolkien could take as long as he wanted.......
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote