View Single Post
Old 11-05-2016, 05:47 PM   #334
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
In the dead of night, voices whispered secret thoughts and dark plans. After all the work they had gone to, they were certain to be thwarted in the morning. It would be nearly impossible to destroy the Ward's morale now, especially with their rescue so near. How to crush what was left of the Ward with so little time left to act?

“There's only one more thing we can do. Come with me....”

~~~~~~~~

Sally was up late again, reading a book by candlelight and keeping her ears trained for any unusual sounds outside. Sure enough, she heard soft footsteps pass through the streets, and she quickly doused her candle, peeking out the windowsill to see who was sneaking by.

Lommy and Lalaith were in their nightclothes, quietly discussing something Sally couldn't quite overhear. From what she could hear, however, the topic of discussion was from from pleasant.

Mustering her up courage, Sally stepped outside and called to the two ladies in the street. Both turned to face her, each of their faces bearing an expression of confusion.

“Oh, hey, Sally,” said Lalaith in a casual tone. “Sorry, did we wake you? We couldn't sleep and thought we'd, um....go check on Lottie. You know, she hasn't been feeling the best, and we-”

“Wanted to make sure she got some rest,” said Lommy. Her eyes flitted to Lalaith, and she forced a smile. “Sorry. I can never resist a good rhyme.”

Sally laughed somewhat nervously. “Neither can I. So, uh, let's go see Lottie, shall we?”

Unable to think of a good excuse to the contrary, Lommy and Lalaith nodded, and the three of them approached Lottie's house.

As Sally was only half awake and Lommy was attempting to distract her from their behavior, Lalaith reached Lottie's door first. She knocked gently, but the door swung open slightly at her touch.

Lottie?” Lalaith stepped inside, casting a quick glance back at Lommy. “Are you in here? We thought-”

“Aha!” shouted a voice, and there was a loud thump from within.

Sally and Lommy raced to the door, only to find Lalaith sprawled on the floor, blood pouring from a wound to her temple.

“I caught her!” Lottie shouted gleefully. “I finally caught one in the act!”

Sally stared down, horrified. “We were coming to- to check on you,” she stammered. “And you....Lottie, what did you do?”

"The right thing, I swear. Trust me, Sally. You'll see."

“I think there's been a big misunderstanding,” Lommy said solemnly. “Let's go find the guards. I'm sure they'll understand it was all an accident. Lottie, you stay here and try to get some rest.”

Lottie nodded, and Sally and Lommy headed back across the Ward. Before long, however, Sally began to again suspect something was very, very wrong.

Lommy, why did you and Lalaith both go to check on Lottie?”

“Well, to be honest, we didn't.”

Sally stopped, turning back to see Lommy walking up to her side, a handkerchief in her hand. “What do you mean, you didn't?”

“It'll be okay,” Lommy assured her. “Here.” She tried to hand Sally the handkerchief. “Dry your eyes before we talk to the guards.” Sally shook her head, and Lommy sighed. “All right, we'll do it the hard way. I really am sorry about this.”

Lommy's hand clamped over Sally's mouth, and as Sally tried to scream, she realized she had made a huge mistake. Her throat burned, each breath choking her, and she looked up into Lommy's eyes as her vision quickly started to fade.

“Just rest,” Lommy said gently, her eyes glinting in the moonlight. “We'll take care of everyone for you. I promise.”

~~~~~~~~

In the morning, the group found Sally's body lying in the street, her mouth hanging open, her glasses askew. Though it was still dark, they could tell she was long dead.

Lottie immediately flew into a panic, claiming that this couldn't be possible. Everyone else had theories as to how this had happened, why someone would target Sally, and what they would do now that she was gone.

Lommy silently enjoyed the chaos. At last, she thought, we've succeeded.

At that moment, three guards appeared in the street. One of them carried a still Legate over his shoulder.

Keeping her cool, Lommy burst into false tears and ran to Legate's side, but as she reached him, her arms were roughly grabbed and shackles closed around them. She was quickly dragged away while the rest of the Ward watched on in shock.

Rumbling sounded all around. Every patient huddled together, then collectively breathed a sigh of relief as the source of the noise, a garrison of soldiers, revealed themselves. Some of them wore less battle-worthy garb; these presented the patients with tea, which everyone drank without argument.

The first rays of the morning sun began to spill over the buildings. The road ahead was long, but at last, they were safe, and they would persevere in memory of all those they had lost. Today was a new day.

The Ward is rescued!
The moddess finally dies! (Happy death day to me!)
The conspirators are thwarted!

Former Patients
Kuru (bard)
Lottie (patient)
Lommy (conspirator)
Boro (patient)

The Morgue
Phantom (running gag)
McCaber (patient)
Nerwen (patient)
Dun (patient)
Shasta (conspirator)