View Single Post
Old 10-29-2002, 07:49 PM   #104
Elanor-of-Lorien

Sting

Hi all. This is my first post here...I have loved reading this thread and seeing the different ways that we have all experienced Tolkien, Lewis, and others...

I am too, one of those people who get wrapped up in the story. I find myself often thinking unconsciously of the story, the characters...and I recently asked myself "how is it that Tolkien's middle-earth, his characters, get into my heart?" I don't really have an answer for this yet, except to say that we have an innate need for something beyond ourselves...and somehow Tolkien has tapped into that need to speak to our hearts. Perhaps it's the people we want to be. People that have depth of character and honor like Aragorn, that have the faithfulness of Sam, that have the wisdom of Gandalf.

As to the "theology" of Tolkien...he himself states that he detests allegory and that he never intended his writings to be allegorical. However, I think the power of his writing is that it is open to interpretation...it speaks to the heart of the reader. For example, I love classical literature. It moves me to the depths of my soul...I have sometimes felt guilty for being so moved by Tolkien or Dumas, yet not by the words of my Savior. But my husband (knowing my love), recently pointed out to me that I can experience and draw closer to God through literature (not to discount the necessity of God's word). In fact, many times after reading something - especially Tolkien - I find myself drawn to prayer and worship...furthermore, Tolkien's Lord of the Rings have given voice to many emotions and experiences that I could not otherwise voice.

Did he mean to be allegorical? No. Did he mean to thread his theology throughout his writings? Being a Christian, with a Christian worldview, of course he wrote out of this. However unlike Lewis who was deliberately writing a "Christian" book in the Narnia Chronicles, Tolkien was a Christian who was writing a story...

Just a few of my ramblings...it's nice to join in on a topic like this...I hope I didn't go too far off base.