Thread: Bye Bye Balrogs
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2002, 03:21 PM   #74
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Balrog Solutions . . . yet again

In an attempt to revive the project a bit, I present what I see as our current possibilities for dealing with the Balrogs. I think that we actually did accomplish quite a bit in the last little burst of activity, and that some kind of solution to the Balrog question may actually be in the foreseeable future.

Our current possibilities, then, are:

1. Jallanite's original 7 Balrog rewrite
2. My ambiguity-preserving re-rewrite
3. Something else, which would require yet another rewrite
4. Forget about incorporating the Fall of Gondolin in its entirety

Jallanite's version has the disadvantage of being very specific; my version has the disadvantage of being very vague. Unless we're going to totally disregard the infamous '3 or 7 note', however, we'll be stuck with one of those two problems no matter what we do.

If I can say so without appearing too much of a shameless self-promoter, I would opt for my revisions - mostly because I think they nicely sidestep the whole issue. Option four is not a joke; if it were shown that the original Fall of Gondolin could not be brought into accord with JRRT's latest ideas about Balrogs, I would say that we should simply drop it. At one point I thought that was the only real solution, but now I think we have at least one way out.

Perhaps we should try to bring this matter to some kind of conclusion. I know that the poll function is gone, but perhaps we could vote all the same, just by posting our votes? Of course, if anyone else would like to take a stab at another rewrite, go ahead.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote