View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #28
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar Elenion View Post
I think I addressed that when I said mostly does not equal all.
Thanks for the replies. I was just thinking that since Tolkien described Galadriel being "of Amazonian disposition" [Letter #348] and the Amazons were warrior women, that her association with the loremasters who were said to be warriors, and her participation in the battle at Alqualondë were also pointing to her being a warrior. I therefore disagree with your assertion that she would not be a match for others in physical combat.

"Even after the MERCILESS assault upon the Teleri and the rape of their ships, though she fought fiercely against Fëanor in defense of her mother's kin, she did not turn back." [HoG&C, p. 242]

"In Fëanor's revolt that followed the Darkening of Valinor Galadriel had no part: indeed she with Celeborn fought heroically in defense of Alqualondë against the assault of the Noldor" [p. 243]

It is said that, "swords were drawn, and a bitter fight was fought upon the ships" at that battle in which, "many were slain upon either side" [Annals of Aman, p. 116] Further a note says, "Finrod and Galadriel (whose husband was of the Teleri) fought against Fëanor in defense of Alqualondë." [p. 128]

In my opinion I'd assume that Galadriel among other things was also a warrior capable of wielding weapons of war and defending herself/others. She had an Amazonian disposition, and was also compared to the loremasters who are warriors, and fought in a battle in which many had died wielding weapons of war or drowned in the sea.