View Single Post
Old 02-05-2002, 04:00 PM   #141
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Late again, but better late than never. I had to read this thread in two installments a week apart.<P>I had great hopes (more fool me). I enjoyed the movie AND was disappointed.<P>Enjoyments: <BR>1) "please don't turn me into somethin' unnatural"<BR>2) the balrog<BR>3) the ancestral statues<BR>4) Gandalf<BR>5) Sean Bean as Boromir and his outstanding death scene<P>Can live with:<BR>Liv Tyler as Arwen was anathema to me before I saw it, but given the creative license I knew they would be taking, that part didn't bug me.<P>Disappointments:<P>1)The spinning wizards was ridiculous<BR>2)I was disappointed with the Renaissance style magic used in the film (especially Saruman controlling Caradhras) which made it frankly (sorry for bringing it up Potteresque, when it COULD HAVE BEEN elven magic which is ART instead of SCIENTIFIC mumbo jumbo. But we westerns all too easily slip into the former without noticing it. <P>What bugged me most were:<BR>1) Frodo portrayed as a callow youth, all wide-eyed innocence <BR>2) Frodo as elf-friend totally absent <BR>3) Frodo does NOT perceive Galadriel's ring and ought to <BR>4) no Gimli/Galadriel friendly exchange
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote