View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #4
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Hmm. I don't know that I would place Eärendil's sacrifice on the same level as that of Gil-galad or even Frodo. His heart was with Men, but to remain with Elwing he chose to be numbered among her race. Spending the rest of his time in Arda as an air-traveling sign of hope for the good guys doesn't really seem that bad.
Well... there's this sad thing that Eärendil and Elwing weren't really together, despite their sacrifices. And even if Elwing had the ability to turn into a bird to greet Eärendil, all she could do was fly to him, and all he could do was watch her fly towards him, but never really land in his arms. Add this sad so-near-yet-so-far thing of the husband and wife, not to mention the fact that they would never be true parents to their children, and coupled with the original premise that in his heart he was with Men, and I think this is a noble sacrifice that shouldn't be belittled.

Frodo sacrificed his sanity, Gil-galad his life (or a huge portion of it), but Earendil (and Elwing) sacrificed their happiness as a family.

Legal Madness.

Last edited by Lindale; 08-21-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote