View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 02:46 AM   #18
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlverGlass View Post
I am sorry but I don't really agree with this particular point, Galadriel. Becoming orcs or any other embodiment of evil was no choice at all. The people of ME (most of them) had their pride and their determination, if nothing else. If we have to drag the matter of choice to a level where good and evil clashes, then Sauron or even Melkor would not have had to work so hard to establish their dominion.

Everybody has choices, this is very very true. But the extent of those choices are certainly limited. Not for all, but for most.
Then again, becoming Orcs is a very extreme case. It would be equivalent to the Jews' 'choice' during the Holocaust.

The extent of those choices are limited, but, on a general scale, you can go pretty far with them. And I would change 'most' to 'many'. There are, of course, plenty of situations in which a person has a choice about as helpful as between the Devil and the deep blue sea, but they cannot speak for all (or even most) situations. This is, of course, a personal opinion, and I might have been inclined to say the opposite had I been brought up as a girl with members of the Taliban for a family.