Thread: Anti-Dwarves
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2005, 10:04 AM   #1
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Anti-Dwarves

Been thinking about this for some time now.

In Arda, there are 'peoples' on both sides of the eternal struggle. Some Melkor created (meaning changed from the original), some chose or were seduced by the 'dark side.' I would also posit that there are those in the middle who are just looking to get through their day, but they're not what I will be talking about.

So anyway, to show what I mean, here is a somewhat short list of example dichotomies (note that some of the 'opposites' are not of the same species but serve a similar function):

Valar (Manwe) - Valar (Melkor)
Maia (Gandalf) - Maia (Sauron)
Elves - Orcs
Ents - Trolls
Humans (Aragorn) - Humans (Mouth of Sauron)
Hobbits (Sam) - Hobbits (Ted Sandyman)
Dogs (Huan) - Wolves (Red Maw)
Horses - Wargs
Eagles - Fell beasts
Army of the Dead - Wrights

Now, you may or may not agree with the list above, but again this isn't my main point, which is:

What are anti-dwarves?

Melkor could not corrupt/pervert dwarves (thanks Aule!) and so was not able to 'create' a new species of baddies from the same (like he did with the Elves). Also, I've not read anywhere that there were a family of dwarves that were completely contrary to the others, fought alongside Melkor/Sauron etc, as the Black Numenoreans were in regards to humans. I would rule out the Petty-Dwarves as they didn't seem to amount to much. Also, just because some dwarves attacked other dwarves or elves or other free people does not make them anti-dwarves - elves slaughtered elves, humans, etc, yet are not 'orcs.'

In regards to enemies and function, the dwarves always fight orcs/goblins/trolls (is this Darwinism as they all live in the same type of environment/niche?), and also seem to be pitted against Dragons a lot (Glaurung, Smaug).

One caveat: Isn't it written that in one of the wars, either the War of Wrath or Dagor Dagorath yet to come, that there were 'peoples' fighting on both sides with the exception of one race? I don't think that those were the Dwarves...

Hopefully there is a clear thought somewhere in the above mess and you can see what I'm asking.
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote