View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 02:56 PM   #11
mhagain
Wight

mhagain has just left Hobbiton.
Very interesting, Hilde. Just thinking, it says somewhere (1951 Letter?) that the Elves role was to make/devise/create, and here we see Feanor as being the ultimate fulfilment of that role.

Another thought:

In Arda Marred, is it possible that everything made/devised/created is - in the longer run - doomed to cause trouble of some kind? I would certainly think so. From that perspective, the whole saga of the Silmarils can function almost as a "morality tale". Does one avoid doing anything, in the knowledge that bad will eventually come of it (as my old Gaffer would say)? Or does one accept the nature of Arda Marred and do one's best (or at least attempt to) in spite of it? Moral dilemma city!!!

Yet another thought:

Aman is often said to be representative of "Arda Unmarred". Does that make my "morality tale" hypothesis invalid, or is Aman - perhaps - not as "Unmarred" as it woulk like to be? Or did an element of the "Marring" creep in while Melkor was there?

All very interesting.