View Single Post
Old 10-27-2003, 04:57 PM   #95
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

The Itship stood on one side of the bridge and the Balfrog stood at the other. Between them was Grrruff, with wings outstretched, talons extended, fangs bared and collar spread. The Balfrog took a remarkably hesitant step forward, onto the bridge.

"Grrralph," asked Vogonwë. "What does your...thing think she is doing out there?"

"Beats me," answered the Wraith. "I didn't even know that she could talk."

"How could you not notice that she talked?" asked Felafel indignantly. In the commotion, this comment was overlooked by the members of the Gallowship and, upon later reflection, was attributed to hallucination brought on by excess adrenaline.

"She cannot stand alone!" cried Grrralph. He drew his sword from its scabbard and pulled his morngstar from beneath his cloak. Then he stepped forward onto the bridge.

"Wait!" cried Merisu. Grrralph paused and looked over his shoulder at the shieldmaiden. "Technically speaking, Grrruff isn't standing," the Elf continued. "Actually, she's sort of hovering."

"That's right," added Earnur as he tugged nervously on the Wraith's cloak. Vogonwë nodded. "Definitely not standing," he confirmed as he edged farther away from the bridge.

"You don't want me to risk my life in battle with the Balfrog?" asked Grrralph.

"Well, you might make him even more angry," said Pimpionwë reasonably. "I wouldn't like him to be more angry," added Vogonwë. "Nothing personal. Please feel free to take...er...risk your life at any other time."

Grrralph considered their words, then lowered his sword. "Very well," said Grrralph with a voice that quavered a bit. "I will stay with you all."

"You don't have to stay," muttered Earnur. "Just don't tick off the Balfrog." But by this time Grrralph's attention had returned to the bridge. No one noticed that steam rose from his eyes...

-------------------

A completely unrelated event was taking place at almost precisely the same time elsewhere. Far away, deep in the bowels of a massive edifice built of black marble, a third level clerk opened an envelope. The clerk read the missive inside and his eyebrows flew up. He directed the envelope and its contents to his superior, who passed it on to his superior, who passed it on the the head honcho himself.

Putting on a pair of reading glasses, he read the letter. "Hmmm," he muttered. "He's never done that before. Still, it's all done proper and as required and the terms of the Orcish Conundrum Concordat are very clear in this regard." He consulted a very large ledger, then turned to his assistant. "Bring up number 3624368 and get him ready to go." A sly smile appeared on his face and he halted his assistant before he could depart. "...and go down to the Düng-Hép and empty it. Let's send him those too and take them off our hands..."

[ November 05, 2003: Message edited by: Mithadan ]