View Single Post
Old 03-09-2004, 07:20 PM   #134
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Airefalas immediately began to decline Korpulfr's offer, but Mithadan stopped him in mid-sentence. "Thank you for your generous offer," he said. "We had planned on visiting the market this evening, but perhaps we can change our minds. Let me speak with my mates for a moment." Korpulfr bowed slightly as the three men turned away and went below decks.

"It's a trap," blurted Saelon as they entered the captain's cabin. "They will take you so that you cannot rejoin your crew."

"I do not think so," replied Mithadan thoughtfully. "You saw how Falasmir's guards treated him and his men. Korpulfr is no ally of Falasmir."

"Then why invite us to dinner?" asked Airefalas.

"Maybe he likes you," answered Mithadan with a smile. "He is a trader. He speaks the language of money. Perhaps he wishes to show us more goods, or more likely he seeks our friendship so that we will buy from him again when we return."

"When we return?" scoffed Saelon. "Perhaps when Rana rises in the west..."

"And," continued Mithadan. "Dinner with Korpulfr will separate us from our guards. Even if we cannot sneak away, it will place us where we want to be. Outside of the palace this evening with few guards about us."

"If he does seek our friendship," interjected Airefalas. "To escape while at his home would place him in jeopardy."

"True enough," mused Mithadan. "Yet this presents us with an opportunity. We shall accept the invitation and evade the guards after dinner, then."

"Or slay them," growled Airefalas. Mithadan did not respond, and instead led his men back to the deck where Korpulfr was waiting. Mithadan smiled broadly. "Airefalas and I shall join you," he said. "An hour after sunset?" Korpulfr nodded and took his leave after saying his farewells.

For the remainder of the morning, Mithadan and Airefalas oversaw the stowing of the cargo. When a crate arrived containing three large nets, he had them opened on the docks, then rolled carefully. One was placed at the stern of the Lonely Star. The others were placed on the deck at either side of the vessel. Then he gave his crew instructions concerning the hooks before the two left the docks and returned to the palace.

"May the favor and luck of Ossė be upon you," whispered Saelon as they stepped onto the gangway. "And you," intoned Mithadan. "And remember my orders. This is our one chance. Do not wait if we cannot reach the ship." Saelon frowned, but nodded reluctantly as his captain and first mate walked away.