View Single Post
Old 04-12-2004, 11:47 AM   #161
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Tinar was thankful for the darkness that hid his burning cheeks. In his eagerness to hear more about the unknown Shapechanger, he had almost given his people away! He would have to be more cautious with these strangers; despite their friendliness, they could be enemies. His boyish trust was unworthy of Wyrma’s son. What could the Northerners be planning? It would be good if someone were to follow them and observe where they went, he thought, and a resolve began to form in his mind.

He accompanied Korpúlfr to see the guests off and drew him off to the side as soon as the door closed, speaking in low tones. “Did you hear that? They want to go to the markets. Wouldn’t it be a good idea for one of us to follow them and see what they do?”

Kor hesitated. “Yes,” he responded thoughtfully, “I had considered that as well, but as the head of this house, I cannot leave my guests unnoticed.”

“I agree,” Tinar answered. “But I can go – not many know me, and they would only think that I have gone back to the palace.”

“You?” Korpúlfr exclaimed, checking his voice and looking around to be sure they had not been overheard. “But your mother would never permit you to roam the streets of the city alone, and that at night! You do not know how dangerous it can be, and she would never forgive me if I allowed you to come to harm.”

“Well then, you will not know about it; I shall simply say ‘good night’ to you now and leave. I can take care of myself better than you think, and certainly much better than my mother or brothers expect.” With those words, he bowed in mock deference and quickly moved out of the door before Kor could intervene. He disappeared into the shadows and a moment later, a mangy mongrel of a dog emerged. Sniffing, he followed the scent of the Gondorians and their guards.

When they reached the markets, the dog had to be mindful of the many feet which could easily have trampled on him, and dodged numerous legs to keep up with the men he followed. The scent of alcohol which wafted from the guards had been overpowering at first, but now it was difficult to discern amongst the many scents of sweaty, perfumed, or drunken bodies, and the heady odour of cooking food and hot drinks mingled with it. He nearly lost the trail when they entered a crowded food tent, since he could not risk going inside, but luck had it that he went around it at the right instant to spot the sudden movement when they escaped their guards. As they zigzagged between tents and stands, veering through alleys and lanes, he realized that they were heading in the direction of the harbour. A feeling of exhilaration flooded over him – his instinct had been right! They had planned an escape!

Tinar did not stop to think what would happen next; all of his thoughts and strength were concentrated on following the two men in the darkness through streets that were unknown to him.

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 04-13-2004 at 02:10 PM.