View Single Post
Old 01-23-2004, 08:04 AM   #339
Hama Of The Riddermark
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hama Of The Riddermark has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hama smiled, the first real smile he had had in a long time. His thoughts wandered to the battle of the deep. Riding out with Theoden had been the greatest moment of his life. He was proud to have served such a king...

'Yes, we are from Rohan. It seems that Grimm and I have fought many battle side by side but not talked until now...'

He chuckled, it was indeed a strange co-incidence that he had fought two large battles with Grimm and hadn't known his name up until a few minutes ago. He thought it doubtful that any rider that had served for a reasonable time could not have been battle hardened by the Deep and the Pellenor, or indeed the battle at the Morranan.

'Yes, the charge of the Rohirrim at Pellenor. A glorious moment...the charge of the Mumaks brought that to an end...'

He saw before his eyes once more his brother, Eodwun, ripped from his saddle, impaled on a mumak's tusk. He visiualised how he had brought the very same mumak down, the same way Eowyn had, by hamstringing it...

'Helm's Deep was awful, every forsaken minute of it. I saw freinds plunge to their deaths from the ramparts, skewered by the black-fletched bolts of the crossbows, I saw one man impaled by an enourmous ballista bolt, the finest moment of my life was riding out with Theoden and Elessar, and seeing Eomer and Gandalf charge... But those memories are long past. Nearly thirteen years has past since the battle of the Deep. And still it stands.'

Hama sighed once again...he shouldn't be remembering the glorious moments of valour in the battles, he should, if he were thinking about battles at all, think of the un-named masses who died...

'Yes, battles are glorious moments of triumph until they are over, then there is only sorrow...'