View Single Post
Old 08-06-2004, 01:12 PM   #83
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Sorry I didn't want to imply a lack of affection ..... more that I hoped I had a slightly different relationship with my god daughter - less parental more friend... I no longer feel qualified to give religious guidance I suppose I would hope to support her to realise her full potential and become as fulfilled as possible..and to realise she is growing up and treat her accordingly not as a child but as a bright young person - just with less experience of the world .... but I do tell her if I think she is being a brat ... but mainly I want her to get well and be able to lead a normal life.. but because I am not her actual parent or indeed a parent it is easier to adjust maybe.....

I think it is hard for parents to let go - I mean they spend so long paranoically watching every step and trying to let go ..... and they also find it hard to get rid of their long established "labels" - I was the youngest in my family for 16 years and they get so used to you being the one who knows nothing...... It happened that I had to renew my passport when I was in France and I met a newish friend just after collecting it - and he was horrified when he saw from that I was 2 months younger than his youngest sister. He assumed I was older, .... not because I looked older but because having met me as an adult he thought of me as such, whereas she was still in his mind his baby sister .....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote