View Single Post
Old 05-17-2005, 11:54 AM   #15
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
White-Hand Is the author Sauron?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
Another question would be why we're so prone to disenchanting ourselves? Perhaps we've forgotten how to shut up & listen, or maybe we've simply gotten so used to only listening to ourelves that anything which contradicts or challenges our own 'secondary world' of beliefs, values, concepts & connections can't hold our attention - we simply want to be told what we already know. If an author says something that can't be fitted easily into our own secondary reality then we stop listening & walk away.

Speaking for myself, I can't think of anything which 'broke the spell' - the effect was rather the opposite - I even carried some of the enchantment out of the secondary world with me, which changed the way I experienced the primary world
We should no doubt be thrilled that we have in our midst such a perfect reader as davem who can train us all in his method of reading, so that we all read the same way. I bet he would be as good at identifying our baggage just as he is at psychoanalysing our blind self-interest which is the only thing possible, apparently, that limits our reading the way he does.

Seriously, I think this model of reading is too circular: If you fall out of enchantment, the fault is always yours, because you, nasty reader, bring things in that don't belong. Learn to control your imagination, reader or do penance for bad thoughts. Bad reader. Submit totally to the will of the author!