View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 08:02 AM   #88
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
"You gave me an Edward Cullen Fantasy Coloring Book, Nienna?!" cried Fea loudly (making it up as she went). She looked down at what was in reality a bunch of Disney villains and picked a handsome shot of Scar on a cliff, pulling out a few earth tones to get started on the rock. "But how shall I color him properly without glitter!?"

Nienna kicked Fea under the table and Fea smiled her thanks for the distraction. She'd traded her gimlet for tea a while ago: tea cups are more functional in shaky hands than martini glasses.

She'd always suspected that martini glasses were status symbols, not because only sophisticates wander around with them, and not because a decent drink in one costs more than the cheap swill most girls her age would consume, but because it is absolutely impossible to hide nerves or shaky hands when you're holding something that attempts, she was certain, to spill itself.

They didn't reveal social status - which was bunk anyway - but they revealed, quite effectively, the comfort level of a person in any given social situation. Martini glasses were an effective measure of confidence or bravado.

Like I said, Fea had switched to tea. Earl grey. (Hot.)

With a crayon in hand, she felt she had a nice solid purpose for being there. Right now, she was coloring Agan a Scar that would surely be better than the one she once sketched for her in the middle of the night and mailed to her. The cost of postage, she'd learned, really wasn't bad at all.

She scumbled in some shadows under Scar's mighty paws, and gave him a loose, effortless sunsetty sky of a background, and tore out the page, folding it neatly into thirds, and wrote "Agan" on it.

Borrowing a piece of blank paper from Nienna, Fea began to sketch Boromir holding an arrow. She thought it seemed delightfully apropos.

Inspired, she flipped the sheet of paper over and wrote in spiky 3D-ish letters, "I wouldn't have missed, dear."

She taped it to the edge of the table, pointed toward Boro, and, with a quiet smirk, returned to Disney.

Ursula? Jafar? Hades? Hm...